Clashes at Baviaanspoort Correctional Centre

Baviaanspoort inmates are on lockdown after gang clashes during a soccer game last weekend. (Photo: SABC)

Baviaanspoort inmates are on lockdown after gang clashes during a soccer game last weekend. (Photo: SABC)

Inmates and officials hurt in clashes at Baviaanspoort Correctional Centre

Twenty-one inmates and six officials were injured when a football tournament degenerated into chaos at Baviaanspoort prison near Pretoria over the weekend. The Sowetan reports that rival gang members clashed during a soccer game at the prison, attacking each other with various weapons.

Correctional Services spokesman Ofentse Morwane said prison officials used batons and electric shields to separate the gang members. The violence has led to an indefinite lockdown and the cancellation of visits.

Constable loses appeal against assault conviction

A Pretoria High Court Judge has criticised police brutality and rejected an appeal by police constable Raesibe Bushy Montjane against her conviction for assault.

The Star reports that in July 2010 Montjane was part of a group of 30 officers who raided the home of a Limpopo spaza shop owner suspected of selling alcohol illegally. She was convicted of pepper-spraying, slapping and kicking the shop owner’s daughter, who was badly injured and had to be treated at a local hospital.

Legal Aid to help Tatane family

The New Age reports that Legal Aid will be assisting the family of Andries Tatane in its civil suit against police minister Nathi Mthethwa. The family is suing Mthethwa for future loss of support for Tatane’s two children and his widow. Read more.

Meanwhile, the National Prosecuting Authority continues to receive criticism after the recent acquittal of seven police officers accused of beating Tatane to death during a service delivery protest in Ficksburg in April 2011. Two editorials in The Star and the Business Day castigate the NPA for failing to sew up the case. Read more.

Another theft from police station

The Bedfordview police station in Johannesburg reported on Tuesday that its exhibit room had been broken into. The Star reports that the thieves stole cellphones and thousands of rands.

The news comes as three men accused of stealing an exhibit safe from the Alberton police station briefly appeared in court yesterday. The matter was postponed for further investigation and a formal bail hearing, according to IOL. The suspects include a constable at the police station.  Read more.

New deputy public protector aims for speedy resolution of cases

The newly-appointed deputy public protector Kevin Malunga has told The New Age that his primary aim is to ensure that cases are resolved within three months. He highlighted some of the challenges his office faces, including a shortage of resources and a lack of investigators.

Malunga’s appointment has been criticised by some, who question his ability to be neutral in his work since he was formerly employed in the Ministry of Justice.

Advertisements

About witsjusticeproject
The Wits Justice Project combines journalism, advocacy, law and education to make the criminal justice system work better for all.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: