North West prison break, ex-Olympian claims warders beat him & more justice news

Inmates at Lospersfontein prison, where there was a jailbreak on Monday night. (Photo: Blogs.Litnet.co.za)

Inmates at Lospersfontein prison, where there was a jailbreak on Monday night. (Photo: Blogs.Litnet.co.za)

Prisoners escape from North West prison

Two inmates are still on the run after they escaped from Lospersfontein prison near Brits during the warders’ shift change around 7pm on Monday night.  The Sowetan reports that three other prisoners also tried to escape but were apprehended.

According to Alfred Tsetsane, Regional Commissioner for Correctional Services, the inmates attacked a warder, stabbed him and held him hostage so they could get the keys to open the cell.

Four of the five prisoners were serving life sentences. One of the prisoners had an illegal firearm.

Former Olympian and murder accused claims he was beaten by warders

Ex-Olympic athlete Ambrose Monye, who is accused of involvement in the killing of a woman near her child’s crèche, has accused five warders of beating him.

 According to The Star. Monye’s lawyer Matthew Klein told the Pretoria High Court yesterday that a group known as the EST Team had assaulted Monye on three occasions.

Klein said Monye had received injuries to his back and one of his eyes and that he experienced pain in his kidneys. The paper reports that Monye could hardly see out of his eye after the incident, but was only given eyedrops and painkillers by the prison doctor.

 Klein said he would ask for a postponement of the trial, as his client could not follow the proceedings due to the pain he was experiencing. Monye has laid an assault charge against the warders.

Correctional Services won’t appeal dreadlock decision

The Sowetan reports that the Department of Correctional Services will not appeal the Supreme Court of Appeal’s recent decision confirming a Labour Court judgment ordering the reinstatement of  five former Pollsmoor employees fired for wearing dreadlocks.

Two of the workers told the paper that the dismissal causes serious financial hardship to their families. Read more.

 Vehicle and 22 pistols stolen from Alberton police station

Alberton police station has experienced yet another theft, with exhibits including weapons and a vehicle going missing, The Star reports. This follows the theft of a safe and its contents (a cellphone, jewellery, money and a firearm) from the precinct’s exhibit room last month.

The fact that the vehicle and guns were missing came to light after an audit team of experts was brought in to conduct an investigation into the theft of the safe.

Some of the money and the firearm from the initial theft were recovered and three men – including a constable from the station – were arrested. Five other SAPS officials, among them the station commander, were suspended for maladministration.

Oscar officers face discipline over phone photos

Forty-five officers working on the Oscar Pistorius murder case have had their cellphones seized, after they allegedly took photos of the Paralympian. The Star reports that the phones will be used as evidence in a disciplinary case against the officers involved. Media houses reportedly offered some of the officers up large sums of money for photos related to the case. Read more.

Advertisements

About witsjusticeproject
The Wits Justice Project combines journalism, advocacy, law and education to make the criminal justice system work better for all.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: